Sunday, July 27, 2008

Save A Little Time And Expense In The Kitchen

Menu planning..............did I really say that? Who has the time? Actually once you have made 4 or 5 weeks worth of menus then you just reuse them. Not only does it cut down on stress, but it saves money, saves trips to the store, and most importantly you can make more nutritious meals. Oh and instead of everybody eating when and what they want you can actually all sit down to a family meal together.

I don't know about you but I am tired of frantic last minute searches in the freezer for something to thaw in 10 minutes or less. I am tired of missing ingredients and having to dash to the store or just leave it out all together. So dare to make this promise, "I will not go to the grocery store until I make a menu plan!"

Think of your weekly schedule....who is home and when. I have kids and a husband who are not always around. Wednesday evenings are hectic in my home so I need something simple that can be eaten early by one child and later by the rest of us. Some people don't like to cook as much so this may be a good day to get take out. Save the pot roast for a lazy Sunday. Don't forget "Cook's Night Off." Have your husband cook or go out for dinner.

*You can start with the weekly sales ads and build your menu around the sale items.
*Make a rough menu plan with side dishes and salads.
*Check your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer for needed ingredients you may already have.
*Make a shopping list of needed ingredients. (Make your shopping list according to the order
you shop the store. You'll speed out of the store in record time!)
*Post the menu and refer to it throughout the week.

Good luck!

No comments: